Skip to main content

Was getting a degree worth it?

Been a while since I last wrote any blog but I seriously could not resist or ignore this bugging question that is "was it really, Really, REALLY worth it? you know going to college or a university and getting a degree and all?" which not to brag I had managed to get three so far a Diploma, a Bachelors and then a Masters.

Over the past couple years, I read many blogs and saw plenty of video's on youtube, from highly successful people (obviously from an economic point of view 😉) convincing me that colleges are utterly worthless and to drop out instead, that too with a grand, rebellious attitude, is one of the smartest thing a student can do. And so naturally this thought bugged me and so I wanted to publically share my insights related to this intriguing question. I am pretty sure, there will be many just like me, who must have been bitten by this same bugging question. And it's quite a buzzing bug, as it does not leave a pleasant feeling once it bites you.



Believe me, this is not some paid article and I am not preaching dying man wishes. I do strongly believe that schools and colleges need to be disrupted in their current format. School and colleges in their current form are definitely a dying breed. I don't believe in eradicating them, mind you, but just reformatting them, as that shall suffice. Obviously, cant reformat it once and sit back and relax. In fact, hundreds of attempts may be required, before finalizing few good ones and this process needs to re-correct itself every few centuries. I always believe in Failing Fast and isn't that one of the 21st centuries bedrock principles. Hence we as a society, quickly need to be open to experimentation and loosen up with standardization, especially in education case wherein its long proven that one size does not fit all.

So after giving it enough thoughts, I came up with a toolbox analogy which helped me in answering this question. See getting a degree is equivalent to getting a toolbox. Now with what kind of tools, depends on the kind of college and type of degree you chose. For me, when I got my Diploma, imagine me holding a smaller toolbox with tools made from woods. I quite frankly didn't know how to use them. So I went on and pursue a Bachelors degree as in, I traded my toolbox with wooden tools for a BIGGER toolbox with iron tools this time, although rusted. Nothing significantly changed as such, as I still didn't know what can I make using them, which tool to use when and how. If I did or shall have met someone who could have showed it to me, then there was no point in getting a higher degree but I didn't and so I went on and pursue a Masters degree. And this time traded my bigger toolbox to get a MEGA toolbox.

I knew a few tricks by now. I learned which tools to use when, but still, I had no idea about what can I make using them. So I ended up joining a factory, where someone gave me specific instructions, wherein I experienced first hand, which tools to use when to make what shape of the object and most importantly how. With the experience of working in a factory over time, I further learned how to remove rust from the tools I am carrying along. I learned how to make various kinds of objects and that too with faster speed and better efficiency. Doing so for couple more years, I started gaining insights and so started taking a few risks and started experimenting and creating objects that are new and unique, which filled me with motivation and ignited a hunger to continue. Throughout the journey, I kept cleaning, exchanging, trading and acquiring tools and kept my toolbox as up to date as possible.

Now, going back to the ones who are proposing that college is worthless and so they dropped out in between. Let's look at it more speculatively. The real reason why they chose to drop out, and mind you, ended up succeeding economically, was that they knew not only how to use a few tools, if not all, but also what can they make using them. But if we take a generic set of 100 students, most do not. Most students get stuck at what can they make and how part and I was one of them and I have no guilt in accepting that. Hence its wise for remaining students, like me, to rather continue and finish what they started. Not pursuing a degree and or dropping out in between, in itself is not going to make any difference, I hope that it's clear.

Schools, Colleges, and Universities are not the evils of society but instead, they are the beacons. I understand the outrageous fees and this whole education as business issues but you cannot kill the body to get rid of the virus. Whats needed is a newer way to study and learn. And believe me Schools, Colleges, and Universities in 2050-2100 will be completely different then what we have seen in our time but nonetheless, they will exist. They will provide better toolboxes with up to date tools and better know how about how to use those tools. Still, at the end, the economic success depends on the individual student and not the toolbox. The sooner the student realizes this and starts experimenting with whatever tools acquired and adapts to Failing Fast the better.

Peace ✌!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming against the tide 🏊‍♂️

Need a favor! I will not have asked unless it was urgent and required. So please I do expect your full support in return 🙏 Why?  What's Happening?  We have taken up a fight against all the big whales. It’s been a couple of years and the fight is getting intense. The market is tough because of Covid-19, the Ukraine war & the inflation in the USA. And of course, the whales are not liking it any better that we are trying to bring down their prices. So basically, I and my team at BillTrim are swimming against the tide 🏊‍♂️ and need a tonne of support to make it to the shore safely. We have recently pivoted our business model from trimming your bills and charging 25% to something quite more appealing & committed called " BillPay ". Now, we not only negotiate your bills but also keep tabs monthly to make sure they stay lean and paid on time. This is another step towards our goal of having BillTrim be free for all users. We have finally decided to get into fight mode a

Asking the RIGHT question

It's surprising how human communication is so flawed and no one is paying attention to fix it at the fundamental level.  Just like the languages in Technology are evolving, well so should our human language. But sadly the language we use daily, to get by, isn't evolving to simplify our needs. We do introduce new slang and some words to our vocabulary every year but that doesn't help much.  Because of this oftentimes it's not that the answers don't exist, it's just that we aren't asking the right question. And this is true when it comes to asking questions to a computer or a family or friends or colleagues etc. Even media houses seem to be intentionally ignoring this and becoming more of an entertainment+ gossip propagator instead of helping society find answers and evolve. Let me give you an example. Let's say we want to know an answer to: How do I lose weight? Well, the default behavior is we stop here and immediately start looking for answers. But inst

ASSumption of SCALE

During a recent Skype meeting with one of our lead developer, I heard him say "what if we have 100 times ... " Now don't get me wrong, I have been there and done exactly the same, various time myself. But not having been involved directly, gifted me an opportunity to look at the software development process a bit objectively, over the past year. And I have come to this, unshaken realization, which is to "stop daydreaming on SCALE" and consequently make costly assumptions that will leave its ripple effects throughout the project. Unnecessary "Tech Debt" in other words. Imagine a 10-year kid planning on opening a lemonade factory after selling just 10 lemonade, of which 5 are bought by own family and friends. This is not only naive but also super dangerous thought that developers think of more than they should, especially, young ones. I will like to remind and request all startup developers to remember a principle namely "Do Things that Do